Overstock - Can't delete ugh!!!!

32 of 66 Overstock reviews

Well yesterday I decided to use Overstock's chat service to delete my account. After talking to their representive Jessica for over 20 minutes, no progress was made. From what she said, "We have an internal record policy." That dang policy wasn't mentioned upon registering for an account, without my given consent to store my own personal information the company now uses this data freely.

Don't buy things from this horrible company.

Here's a copy of the conversation I had with an Overstock representative.

Jessica: Hi, my name is Jessica. How may I help you?

Visitor: I was wondering how I can cancel my account please.

Jessica: Hello there.

Visitor: I was wondering how I can cancel my account please.

Jessica: I am so sorry as you do not wish to maintain account with us.

Jessica: For record keeping purposes accounts cannot be removed from our system.

Jessica: However, you can remove stored credit card information and stop emails from being automatically sent to your email address by following the following instructions.

Jessica: Click on the "My Account" link located at the top of the homepage, and log into your account.

Jessica: Log in with your current existing email and password.

Jessica: To remove stored credit card information:

Jessica: Click on the "Account Settings" tab.

Jessica: Click on the “Payment Settings” link.

Jessica: Remove the check from the box next to “On my next order, save my payment information for quicker checkout” by clicking it.

Jessica: Then click the "Submit Changes" button.

Visitor: Why can't my account be removed?

Jessica: Your account will be invalidated.

Visitor: Was this mentioned when I signed up?

Jessica: Please invalidate the account.

Visitor: Was this mentioned when I signed up?

Jessica: No.

Visitor: Why not? If I knew this in the first place I wouldn't have signed up.

Visitor: I wan't my account permantely removed fromyour data base.

Jessica: You just need to invalidate the account.

Jessica: It will be same as your account is removed.

Visitor: What's the difference? You obviously used different wording.

Jessica: By, this, you'll stop receiveing our emails too.

Jessica: *receiving

Jessica: Only option is to invalidate the account.

Visitor: Why can't my account be removed from your system, that wasn't mention when I signed up/

Jessica: I am so sorry. For record keeping purposes accounts cannot be removed from our system.

Jessica: Please follow the steps I have provided.

Jessica: and invalidate the account.

Visitor: Why do you need to keep my account?

Jessica: For record keep purpose of the orders placed, we are unable to delete the account.

Jessica: By invalidating the account, you'll stop receiving emails also we will have a record of the order.

Visitor: So you guys will foreverly hold my information that I did not consent for?

Jessica: Please invalidate the account by erasing your information.

Jessica: To remove stored credit card information:

Click on the "Account Settings" tab.

Click on the “Payment Settings” link.

Jessica: Then click the "Submit Changes" button.

Visitor: Why wasn't consent given for this?

Jessica: I apologize that I was not able to resolve that issue for you. Are there any other concerns I can address for you?

Visitor: Why wasn't consent given for this?

Jessica: Our customer have never contact us to delete the account once they have registered.

Jessica: The only option for you is to invalidate the accout.

Jessica: *account

Visitor: That doesn't answer my question whatsoever. Of course there's a percentage of costumers that demand their account to be closed for every company.

Jessica: We have not got any contact about that.

Jessica: Please invalidate your account.

Visitor: I seriously don't believe you. I want my account completely removed. I did not give you guys permission to hold my information.

Jessica: Once you invalidate your account, we will not have any information of your except the order.

Jessica: So, invalidate your address, erase your card number.

Jessica: This is the only option.

Jessica: Is there anything else I can help you with?

Visitor: Why is the order information needed?

Visitor: Still didn't answer the question why my permission wasn't granted for the company to do this.

Jessica: You have created account with us,

Jessica: Please invalidate your details.

Visitor: Just because I created an account does not mean the company can store information about past customers without noting any permission needed upon signing up for an account. How is that revelant to my question?

Jessica: Once you livalidate your account, we will not have any of your details accept the order.

Jessica: So, please invalidate the account.

Visitor: Why is the order information needed?

Jessica: For record keeping purpose, we need the orders.

Jessica: So, we are unable to delete account. Please invalidate your account if you do not wish to maintain account with us.

Jessica: That is the only option.

Jessica: Is there anything else I can help you with?

Visitor: Why is this information important to you guys? What details about the order are specified?

Jessica: We need the details of the number of orders placed on our site.

Visitor: Why can't my account be completely closed once you store the information into your database?

Jessica: That is what I am informing you to invalidate your details.

Jessica: By this your details will be erased.

Jessica: Is there anything else I can hel;p you with?

Jessica: *help

Visitor: What details are you keeping?

Jessica: Order details.

Visitor: What is that exactly?

Jessica: Ordered item, order total.

Visitor: You said that accounts can't be removed from the system?

Jessica: Yes.

Visitor: Why not?

Jessica: That is the reason I am asking you to invalidate the account by the, we will not have your details.

Visitor: You have the item ordererd saved already, why not completely remove the account then?

Visitor: Why keep the account if you only want to know what was ordered? What's the purpose of doing this?

Jessica: I am sorry. But we do not have an option to delete account. Invalidate the information.

Jessica: As per our policy, we do not have an option to delete account,.

Jessica: Is there anything else I can help you with?

Visitor: Why isn't the option given? Where in the policy is this mentioned?

Jessica: We have internal record policy.

Jessica: We are not able to provide it to the customer.s

Visitor: Internal record policy that is hidden from the customer? Really now. Why isn't this information given when signing up?

Jessica: I am sorry. I do not have that information.

Visitor: This isn't moral.

Jessica: There is no way the account can be deleted.

Jessica: Please invalidate the account and we will lose your details.

Jessica: Only details, we will have is the order.

Jessica: Do you have any other questions for me?

Visitor: Since I can't take your words for granted, given no proof I want my entire account deleted from your system.

Jessica: Okay.

Jessica: Do you have any other concerns for me?

Visitor: Make it happen.

Jessica:

Thank you for contacting Overstock.com. Before you go, we invite you to check out the exclusive benefits of becoming a Club O Member. Club O allows you to earn rewards and save more with every Overstock.com purchase. It's our way of saying 'Thank You' for shopping with us. Click here to learn more!

Jessica has disconnected.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.

More Review Details

Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
32 of 66 Overstock reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

May 09 #1156312

Just had a similar chat conversation. I'm wondering if it's an algorithm conducting their chat and not a real person. The answers are so caged. I was trying to merge two accounts, but if they are selling data then that reduces one contact they can be paid for.

Jul 25, 2015 #1011802

These idiots of course pissed me off because I put in an order and they cancelled my order but took my money but said that they lacked the information to process my order. When I called them they tried to say it was fraud but all of my information was legit. Never again will they get any business from me or anyone else I know.

Jun 09, 2015 #993030

Apparently they are selling the data, and I guess they still get paid for it, even if the data is old and/or no longer particularly pertinent.

Jun 09, 2015 #993026

I was able to have a duplicate Overstock.com account deleted. I made a point to tell them that I had never purchased anything using the account and that there had never been a credit card or debit card linked to the account. As soon as that information had been verified, they deleted the duplicate account. I realize this may not be helpful to everyone, but Overstock did get rid of the duplicate account.

William

Sep 20, 2014 #873013

I also tried to get my account deleted since I haven't shopped on overstock in like 5 years. The representative told me is for security purposes--another completely different reason than that mentioned on the website. I can't see how it's more secure for me to leave open an account where someone could go in and take my information or fraudulently buy something.
If this is for record keeping purposes, that's fine. I'm sure they could find a way to delete the account but still maintain the purchases in the system. This is a horrible feature of the website.

1 0 Reply
Fed up

Jan 29, 2014 #779706 Pine Island, Minnesota, United States

Sounds familiar! I'm dealing with them right now and I can't believe their robotic bull. Morons. I'll never order from them again. Bad customer service is the downfall of every company.

1 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Overstock. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Overstock.
Filing a new complaint about
×